Skip to main content

Final Project Write Up

Final Project Link:

Artist Statement:

"Eulogy for My Spanish" is an animated poem that presents itself like an old heart monitor, exploring themes of death and individual loss of language. I was influenced by Young Hae Chang Heavy Industry's work and their use of simple but effective animation for narration and poetry. Like them, I wanted to have a minimalist feel to my work. However, I experimented with more animation on individual words, as well as used heartbeat and heart monitor sound effects instead of music to go along with the theme of death in the poem. I also used a dark background with white font to give it a more foreboding feeling. The poem is meant to reflect the experience of being Latinx-American and dealing with backlash from Americans for speaking Spanish.

Documentation:

When I first had the idea for the video, I decided to use a poem inspired by another work I had written. Originally, the poem read:

You were every lullaby, every story. You savored the taste of everything you said. You were a song. Melodic. Soft then loud, slow then swift. But still always melodic. Still always continuous. Like crashing waves that fed into each other. Your lilts and rolls were the wind. It was through you that I saw the world. Colorful. Bright
Outside of home, you weren’t welcome.
And it was because of this that I learned to hate you. Because at school I used your lilts and rolls to talk and that was bad. Bad according to my classmates. Bad according to my teachers. I hated them. I hated you.
I tried erasing you from me until I finally built up the audacity to cut you out of my life. To end everything I ever had with you. Pretend like you were never there in the first place even though I could never really have forgotten you completely and, God, how I hated you--
And then you left. Gradually. And I thought I was free. But I could still feel your presence. Ghosts that no matter how much I tried to exorcise never really stopped haunting me.
Now, years later, is when the guilt’s got a hold of me. Not that it matters now, anyway. It’s not like I can just dig you out of my head now that you’re gone.

But I realized the poem would be too long for me to be able to animate it with the limited amount of time and background I had to make the video. So I had to reduce it to:

You were every lullaby, every story. You savored the taste of everything you said. You were a song. Melodic. Soft then loud, slow then swift. But still always melodic. Still always continuous.
It was through you that I learned to see the world. Colorful. Bright
Outside of home, you weren’t welcome.
So I learned to hate you. I hated you.
I tried erasing you from me but I never really forgot you completely and, God, how I hated you--
And then you left. Gradually. And I thought I was free. But I could still feel your presence. Ghosts that no matter how much I tried to exorcise never really stopped haunting me.
And now all I am left with is guilt. Not that it matters now, anyway. It’s not like I can just dig you out of my head now that you’re gone.

When I first started the process of making the video, I decided to use Photoshop to be able to make a glitch effect on the first few frames. As such, moving forward I had to individually animate the words frame by frame, which took me a few days before I could figure out how to do it effectively. It went too fast, was very off-rhythm, and was too subtle in certain parts.


So I went back and fix the timing of the frames, fix some of the animation, and add the rest of the frames. For the animation of the words, animated the ones that I wanted to put the most emphasis on with animations that fit their nature. I then exported the file from Photoshop to an mp4 file.


After I exported the mp4 file, I imported it into Adobe Premiere. I found out later that I should have used After Effects because Premiere is better for video than After Effects. I downloaded some sound files that I imported as well: radio static, heartbeats, and heart monitor beats.


I tried to align the video with the heartbeats and the heart monitor. I also had to split up some of the video in order to get better pacing in the video. I had to quicken the pace of the heartbeat and heart monitor sounds when the pace of the animation got quicker. However, when I did so within Premiere, the pitch got much higher than I wanted it to. So I had to go into Adobe Audition to make sure that the pitches would sound even among the sound bits and imported those into Premiere. I then had to make sure that they matched the pacing of the animation and each other's pacing. Once that was done, I exported the Premiere file to the final mp4 file and uploaded it to Google Drive.

Discussion:

Overall, the experience making this animation was stressful but also rewarding in that after I put weeks' worth of time and effort into it I was taken aback at how much better the video came out than I thought it would. Though at times trying, I did enjoy learning how to do different effects on Photoshop and learning how to use and integrate the three programs. By making so many (and I do mean so many) mistakes while making this project, I learned ways to more effectively use these three Adobe programs which could carry in to my interest in production.

I did enjoy the theme of the work and how well it tied in to the aesthetics of the video. I think that it is interesting for me as a writer to be able to more creatively put stress on words and control at what pace and how the reader is reading the poem. It was a new shift in dynamics that I was unused to and it was fun to explore.

In general, I think it would have been better to use Adobe After Effects rather than Premiere. Also I think it would have been better to upload the frames from Photoshop or make the frames within After Effects so that it would be more editable. I also think that the animation could be done more smoothly if I had more time, so that it wouldn't look so choppy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reading and Seeing: Video, Image, and Text Arts

The image taken from Internet Poetry I think encapsulates Schifani's discussion of "shallowness" in electronic literature, and how electronic literature, though it is flat, can really have a depth to it depending on the intent of the artist. I think this image gets across the message that, even though seemingly "shallow" media (like cat videos that Schifani mentions) circulates the internet, technology actually has the potential to bolster our creativity as long as we build upon digital art, as long as we "DO NOT LET THE FIRE DIE." The image taken from Ana Uribe's website is one of her poems entitled " It's Raining ." Similarly, I think it connects to Schifani's idea of "flatness." Even though the poem itself seems flat and simple, it is actually quite experiential if read aloud.  Uribe repeats the word "gota" ("raindrop" in English) throughout the poem, slowly squishing the letters closer

Translation and Multilingual Practices

I think agree with the Raley reading in that I think it is at least difficult and at most impossible for language technologies to be refined to the point of being true to the translation. I think that though translation technologies are definitely useful, it would be way too much to be able to translate the small inflectional differences language has, mostly idioms, since they vary across the world and even across countries who speak the same language. One of the points I found interesting is that language technologies are very English-centered, which I think largely limits the accessibility of them. I do think, however, that the use of language technologies could be useful in art. Not so much in doing something like translating books, which I do very much think need a native speaker of the target language who can understand how to genuinely and not literally translate certain parts of the book, or poems that sometimes hold importance in structure that cannot be done by just literal

Speaking and Listening: Voice, Sound, and Text Art

Before reading the articles, I did not know much about electronic literature, let alone that it was a medium of literature that was gaining popularity. I found one particular point in the "Principles of New Media" article interesting—digital language art is a collaboration between human creation and computer interface. It is an idea that should seemingly be common sense, but that I personally did not think about before. Prosthesis was particularly interesting when thinking about the idea of human/computer collaboration to create art. Ian Hatcher sampled his own voice for his work but implemented the samples in a way that sounded computerized and artificial but still somehow human, as though it were in were in between the two. I feel like this concept highlights digital language art being partly human and partly digital, and how it can manipulate language in ways that traditional art like creative writing and oration cannot. "Long Rong Song," too, utilized coding